Healthy Eating for 6 to 24 month old children (3) Ready to go (12- 24 months)
Helping your child to eat properly
(Watch related infomation: http://s.fhs.gov.hk/j34up)
Apart from providing a variety of foods, it is also important to set up mealtime routines and prepare your child for meals:
Setting up mealtime routines
- Provide your child with 3 main meals plus 2 or 3 snacks at regular times;
- Let your child eat at the dining table with the rest of the family;
- Seat your child in the same place;
- Avoid offering snacks or drinks within 2 hours before or after meals;
- Allow a set time of 30 minutes for each meal.
Tips: When he sees the family eating the same food, he will be more willing to try it.
Parent’s Concern:Just 30 minutes! My son won't eat enough in such a short time!
Toddlers’ tummies are small. Usually they get full within 20 to 30 minutes. Instead of getting them to have a big meal, offer them healthy snack in a few hours to get another “shot” of nutrients and energy.
Preparing your child for meals
- Get your child ready by doing a regular activity, such as washing his hands. It tells him that "It is time to eat";
- Take your child to the dining table only when the food is ready;
- Remove distractions: turn off the TV, put away toys and items that may harm your child.
When he sees the family eating the same food, he will be more willing to try it.