If parents wish to know the Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine received by their children at Maternal & Child Health Centre (MCHC) of the Department of Health is the 13-valent Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine or not, they should first note the date of receiving those vaccines from the “Immunization Record” & then take note of the following information:-
- If the date of receiving the vaccine is on or before 4 December 2011, the Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccines provided at all MCHCs are 7-valent or 10-valent Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine
- If the date of receiving the vaccine is on or after 5 December 2011, the Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccines provided at all MCHCs are 13-valent Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine
- There are over 90 serotypes of pneumococcus
- The seven serotypes covered by the 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine include 4, 6B, 9V, 14, 18C, 19F, 23F
- The ten serotypes covered by the 10-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine include 1, 4, 5, 6B, 7F, 9V, 14, 18C, 19F and 23F
- The thirteen serotypes covered by the 13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine include 1, 3, 4, 5, 6A, 6B, 7F, 9V, 14, 18C, 19A, 19F, 23F
The Centre for Health Protection (CHP) of the Department of Health (DH) has announced on 29 November 2013 that the Childhood 13-valent Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine (PCV13) Booster Vaccination Programme (BVP) would commence on 2 December by phases through paediatric specialist clinics of the Hospital Authority (HA), Maternal and Child Health Centres (MCHCs) under the DH, as well as private doctors through the Childhood Vaccination Subsidy Scheme (PCV13 booster) [CVSS (PCV13 booster)].
Hong Kong residents aged from two to under five years old (i.e. born on or after 26 November 2008) who have never received PCV13 are eligible for one booster dose of PCV13
- Starting from 2 December 2013, the DH's MCHCs would provide free PCV13 booster doses to eligible children from financially vulnerable families who are recipients of the Comprehensive Social Security Assistance (CSSA) Scheme or holders of valid Certificates for Waiver of Medical Charges from the Social Welfare Department. Parents may approach their MCHCs for appointments.
- Starting from 2 December 2013, free PCV13 booster doses would be provided for at-risk paediatric patients attending the HA's paediatric specialist clinics during their follow-up consultations. At-risk paediatric patients include:
- Patients with history of invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD);
- Patients with immunocompromised states, including:
- Asplenia, Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), primary immunodeficiency;
- Immunodeficiency related to malignancies and transplantation;
- Immunodeficiency related to use of immunosuppressive drugs or systemic steroids;
- Patients with chronic diseases, i.e.
- Chronic cardiac (particularly cyanotic congenital heart disease and cardiac failure), pulmonary (including asthma if treated with high-dose oral corticosteroid therapy), liver or renal diseases;
- Diabetes mellitus or cerebrospinal fluid leakage; and
- Cochlear implant patients.