How to use the Cervical Screening Service 24-hour Phone Booking and Information Hotline in Family Health Service of Department of Health
(Content revised 11/2021)
Hotline: 3166 6631
Maternal and Child Health Centres provide cervical smear test to women aged at or above 25 who have ever had sex. Fee will be charged for this service. If you have smear test regularly, please book the appointment one month before the due date.
Women who have never had sex or have undergone total hysterectomy do not need cervical smear test.
Preparations before booking：
- Please have your Hong Kong Identity Card / valid travel document and Hong Kong telephone number ready at hand.
- Try to recall the date of your last menstrual period. Cervical smear test should be avoided during menstruation. Thus, please make your appointment before or after your menstruation. You may estimate the date as follows: e.g. if your last menstrual period was from the 1st to 5th of January, your next menstruation will probably be on the date between end of January to early February. You should therefore avoid making the appointment within the period of 27th of January to the 6th of February. You could choose a date between the 6th to 26th of January, or between the 7th to 25th of February as far as possible.
- Women aged at or above 45 are advised to make an appointment after the 12th day of the menses.
- Avoid vaginal pessary, coitus or vaginal douching two days before the test.
Other points to note：
- Your booking is valid only after confirmation by the computer.
- If you want to change or cancel the appointment, please phone this hotline again. Please note that you cannot change or cancel your appointment within 2 days of your original appointment date.
- If the service is suspended due to situations such as typhoon or black rainstorms, you have to book another appointment.
- On the appointment day, please bring along your Hong Kong Identity Card / travel document, Family Planning/Cervical Screening Service registration card (if applicable) and the fee to register at the counter. Those who are late for over 15 minutes would not be served.
Maternal and Child Health Centres only provide cervical smear test but not routine gynaecological examination. Please seek medical advice from General Outpatient Clinics or private doctors if you have abnormal vaginal bleeding or discharge.
Barrier-Free Facilities in Maternal and Child Health Centres:
- All 31 MCHCs under Family Health Service are equipped with examination table for wheelchair users.
- Most of our centres are also equipped with lift and PA system, accessible toilet, tactile guide path and accessible entrance.
- For more information on barrier-free facilities in Maternal and Child Health Centres, you may visit the website of Family Health Service at www.fhs.gov.hk, through fax from this hotline, or call our MCHCs.
Fees and Charges:
- Eligible Persons: $100
- Non-eligible Persons: $205
Note: Patients falling into the following categories are eligible for the rates of charges applicable to Eligible Persons:
- A holder of Hong Kong Identity Card issued under the Registration of Persons Ordinance;
- Other persons approved by the Director of Health.